Friday, June 4, 2010

Today

Today at work: Can’t focus, my mind is working overtime and needs some fire for all the fuel it has, but all I’ve got to do is some brainless document correcting. Sitting at a grey desk in the corner of a huge room, I glare at a computer screen under florescent lights. A tiny space heater grumbles at my feet. They keep it around 64 in this internal department of offices, beyond a warehouse and through halls, behind doors, like an inner sanctum of air conditioning. Outside it’s pushing 90 and humid as hell from all the rain we’ve had.

By the time 2PM stumbles up, I feel like I might be going a little crazy with that walls-closing-in sensation. I text scramblingly to my husband, a couple friends, with answers enough but not connecting in the way I need to this wire in my mind that seems to be shorted and sparking out its energy into cold air.

Facebook: a terrible pit of deception, artificial socialization. I don’t have a blinking curser over my head as I walk outside from my apartment, making sure everyone knows “Shannon T Greene is taking the trash to the compactor and taking the dog to pee.” If you ask me what music I like, I won’t be able to pull out a picture of the band. And precious few of us ever really look as good as we do in our profile pictures.

But, today is my last day of work for the whole month of June. Next week we make last preparations for our trip, then on Monday June 14th Daniel and I catch a plane to Dublin! I’m borrowing my mom’s camera, a very nice one, much nicer than my little Coolpix. Only the best for the Emerald Isle!

1 comment:

  1. Blech, Facebook. I love it and hate it :o/

    Ohmigosh you're going to love love love Dublin! To this day it's one of my favorite places that I've visited.

    As for the temp at your office--I guess I'm lucky. Although I'm the only woman who is here all day, every day (my boss is female but only comes in for 2-4 hours a day, lucky her), whenever the guys turn the A/C temp down too much I just meander on over and turn it right back up to 75. Ha.

    ReplyDelete

Read the Printed Word!