Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Goodbye Hallowe'en: a past perfect and past present holiday

It is tragic - I must take down my Halloween decorations. Well, I guess not must, but should probably. I do love All Hallows Eve, but if I had all the trappings of it hanging around all year it just wouldn't be as special and fun.

My morbid yard, alas, must return to normal

Halloween was off limits when I was a kid. Because my mother had dabbled in what she called witchcraft when she was a teenager, when she began going to church with her grandmother - the only religious person in my mother's family - she gave up the usual things it is said you must give up when you become a Christian, including Halloween. So, naturally, as her children, we were allowed to dress up (mainly as Bible or history characters) and go to the church fall festivals, but never trick-or-treating. 

It never bothered me really, until I was a teenager and became interested in all things fantasy - especially elves and fairies - and wanted to dress up and go out with my friends. I was also interested in Celtic and pagan traditions and holidays, which included All Hallows Eve. I had read about Halloween, and even in those tracts from church casting halloween as demonic I found it darkly intriguing and mysterious, something forbidden in earlier years and therefore all the more enticing. 

 More creepy decorations

Now that I have my own life and my own house, I will celebrate Halloween every year. I enjoy the shifts and layers that it has acquired throughout history. Some historians believe it could have originated  in Roman festivals and and feasts of the harvest and the dead, but it is more widely associated with the Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sow-an). Deriving from an irish word samuin, meaning end of summer, Samhain was a harvest festival falling an the first day of autumn, and was the most important of the four quarter celebration days in the Irish and Scottish medieval calendar. People also believed that it was a time when the everyday world and the realm of the magical and spiritual were closest. Christians and the Catholic Church also influenced Halloween with their All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day, a time for honoring and praying for the souls of the dead. Many would wear masks and other costuming so as to disguise themselves, following lit candles held by others on their way to their place of worship for the next day.

Pumpkins on my table

I think you can disregard what anything has been in the past and accept it for what it is to you now, including Halloween. But, I prefer to keep the doors of history open and, perhaps, the door to the magical realms open as well. Halloween has the qualities of an ancient old town like Dublin, Ireland. Walking down Dublin's streets, you can see a each layer of its long life throughout civilization, from the cobblestones and Dublin Castle of the medieval times, to the many colorful doors of the Georgian era, and hundred-year-old buildings housing cellphone stores. There are aged pubs that still bear the original name from the times of the Irish kings, but show Gaelic foorball games on their flat screens behind the bar. 

Worlds and ages meet and commune on one night, Hallowe'en. 


So, to celebrate it this year, I had my first Halloween party. This is mainly why I spent so much time on decorating. It was largely a success, except for the part where my high school girl-crush walked in (whom I invited but hadn't seen since, well, high school, during which I was much too shy to talk to her) and I am sure that at that moment I was probably the most awkward person she had ever talked to. (Hi Anne, glad I got the awkwardness over with). I managed to get a few pictures of the costumes. Oh, and I'm a new Instagram user due to my sister persuading me to sign up, so the pictures are all at least 45% hipper than their original form (not an official percentage, I just made it up). 

 A Paul Bunyan and Blue Ox, a Margaret Tennenbaum (my sister), a Christmas sweater couple, and a best friends heart.


I was a Victorian ghost, and my husband Daniel was a John "Hannibal" Smith from the A-Team.


Hell yeah. 'Til next time.


4 comments:

  1. I'm an awkward, shy person myself, so no worries! I enjoyed getting to hang out for a little while. I can be extraordinarily shy myself, so, no worries.

    Also, your house was so cool. I wish I had the eye for decoration that you have.

    Halloween is pretty much my favorite holiday. The folklore that goes along with it and the history just make it that much better. October is the best time to curl up with a copy of Ray Bradbury's 'The Halloween Tree'...I am quite sad that it has come and gone for another year.

    Winter has its own spooky appeal in a way, though...black skeletal branches silhouetted against the fading light...soon it will be dark by dinner time...and the wind and sky will have that strange character that is only apparent in the truly colder months.

    Glad to see you writing regularly! It's something I ought to be doing myself, now that I have a breather between papers for school...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love Halloween, but I never decorate for it because we always go out of town. Your decorations are great and I love all the costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for comment, Anne. I am so glad you understand my awkwardness. :)

    I'm glad to see you writing, too. I really enjoy reading your stuff. I look forward to reading more!

    Thanks for the decoration compliments, ya'll. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved all your decorations and especially the costumes:) While I don't totally agree with the celebration of Halloween, I can attest to the attraction of participating in it. Sad to say, however, your mother did a poor job of explaining or teaching the reason that we made it a point to do fun things in place of celebrating demonic activity. As a follower of Christ, I did not feel it honored my Lord and Savior to allow my children to dress up as or celebrate Satan and/or his followers. The existence of nor the power of the Prince of Darkness does not depend on our belief in him. I choose to give him no place in my life if I can help it.

    ReplyDelete

Read the Printed Word!