Friday, March 5, 2010

Books make me happy

I want to read a really phenomenal, really absorbing, can't-put-down book. I need it right now, I think, to adventure a bit. And I want to sort of prove to myself that I'm just as good at and into reading as I was when I was a kid. It sounds silly, but growing up and becoming more experienced in life, I wonder if some of the - well - wonder will have gone out of the story world for me. Don't misunderstand, I still read. But I haven't had that pulled-down-into feeling with much I've recently read. Maybe I've just gotten really picky.

I've got a couple of leads on some really tasty reads, though. I've been recommended Cassandra Clare's City of Bones series by more than a couple of people. And I read a really alluring review of one called Lost Books of the Odyssey by Zachary Mason.

I was the girl at my middle school who walked in the back of the lines to the lunchroom and DARE assemblies with my spriggy ponytail-head aimed down at a paperback. It was usually something like The Saddle Club , books by Beverly Cleary or any kind of mystery stories. Anything about horses for sure. Later in 8th grade I started getting into doctor's office waiting room lit like John Grisham and Nicholas Sparks. I thought they were things adults read, and I wanted to be seen as ahead for my age. Sorry, no Farenheit 451 for me yet. I did like a lot of the classics, but I was definitely never into reading things because I needed them "under my belt." I have a hard time thinking about reading or writing in a purely academic vein (even though I was an English major). Why take the fun out of everything?

You gain knowledge through reading, but that knowledge puts down its strongest roots when the reader really connects with the material.

There's my English major two-cents.

4 comments:

  1. The YA section is usually good to me. One book I really enjoyed recently was Scott Westerfeld's "Leviathan." Happily, I like a lot of his stuff!

    The basis for the main character may be a huge deterrent (she's basically the most masochistic courtesan ever) but the series and its writing is excelllllleeeeent. Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series makes my brain happy. I don't shock easily though, and the third book made me put it down and walk away from it for a few days because it just disturbed me so badly. I came back to it, though, and was rewarded for sticking through it.

    Douglas Coupland has a knack for writing about the real and the profound. Life After God is one of my favorites--it's stuck with me since I read it twelve years ago. I love profound authors. When the writing reaches into your chest, grabs your heart, and both reassures you and unsettles you...that's compelling. I can't read profound stuff 24/7 but it's wonderful every once in a while.

    On that note, If I Stay was good, but it had me crying through most of the book.

    Another one of my all-time favorites is actually kinda campy but I love it all the same. And it just made total sense:

    There I would be, at my desk, scowling, kicking my boots at the desk in front of me, dressed like I'm headed to a very strange funeral, and reading a book titled Lost Souls. Okay, so totally stereotypical, but reading Poppy Z. Brite was what encouraged me to actually write down the ideas that were in my head instead of page upon page of ambling OCxInsert Character Here of fanfiction.

    TL;DR I like books. I read lots of books. I'm happy to recommend what I've sorted through and found enjoyable recently. Sifting through the bulk sometimes reveals great rewards.

    PS. I like Cassandra Clare, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, thanks Anne. You've given me a lot to look at here. I've definitely heard of the Kushiel series, and Douglas Copeland sounds really interesting too. Hopefully I'll get around to reading them all. And what's crazy is I've been trying to get to the library all weekend, but life is busy when you have a job and a husband among other things. Not quite the same as earlier years when if I wanted to go get a book and read for a whole day, I just did it. Now I can't help but think of all the things I should be doing.
    By the way - I remember that strangely-dressed, scowling booted girl. I would have liked to talk to you back in school, but I was wayyy too shy. I thought you were cool, which I think I've told you by now. Anyway, thanks for commenting. Maybe this breaks a barrier of some sort and we could be friends now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all right. Back in high school I was such a mess. I had a lot of growing up to do and a lot of things to learn. If I could go back and talk to myself at seventeen years old and tell myself that everything was actually going to turn out to be good, that there was so much to look forward to, I wouldn't have believed myself. I like to think I've mellowed over time as I've had more experience with this thing called happiness.

    :) I'm happy to be friends. Bear with me, I'm a shy person too. But see? Here I am, coming out of my shell. Keep on writing--it's inspiring! I look forward to seeing if you've posted anything new when I get home from work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you found happiness. I try to keep it around, but sometimes it gets away from me. I look forward to getting to know you more (however slowly that goes). I'm content at least with our online correspondence, as it is now you're like my secret friend inside the computer at work. And the last bit you said - I'm sure you know - makes me extremely happy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Read the Printed Word!