Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Weird Spirits

I'm in a strange state of mind today. Daniel and I both woke up late this morning and I never really blinked all the sleep away until about 10:15AM. I'm still barely holding on to cognizance, with little enthusiasm for much of anything. I just want to get my work done and get the day over with. At least the new season of Ghost Hunters comes on tonight.

I know, I'm a dork for watching Ghost Hunters. And not in a cool, I'm-a-hipster-dork sort of way. More like the same kind of dork I am for knowing Celine Dion did a cover of Cyndi Lauper's "I Drove All Night", let alone knowing any Celine Dion song at all. That kind of knowledge, random as it is, will not get you the title of Random Info Coolster, it'll get you something more like Knows Stuff Nobody Cares About.

I'm still watching Ghost Hunters anyway.

Speaking of ghosts and dorkiness, I have this app on my iPhone that allows you to take photos then insert images of ghosts somewhere in the picture. These are highly amusing to me, and I've victimized most of my family, and quite a few of my friends with the application, who aparently have some haunting spirits hanging around. My husband has more than a few.


My husband let our ghost out of the closet



I think ol' Civil War Sam wants a bite of my Dad's casserole



We think that Sam, by reappearing in different places is trying to bring us some message. Once, he appeared in the living room behind Daniel from a gray smoke long enough to psychokenetically tell us that the South will rise again. We told him to go to hell but he says he's been there, and they don't got separate sections for blacks and whites so he decided keep hanging around in Limbo.



Do I have a creepy little girl floating behind me? I feel as though I do.



Civil War Sam is relentless, following me and my sister to Cracker Barrel one morning. Give it a rest Sammy....I mean seriously give it a rest.

Ok, back to work now. Blogging at work is a bad idea.

But pictures of my family with ghosts in the background...that makes me smile.

3 comments:

  1. Jeremy and I were watching Ghost Hunters earlier. It's not silly like the one on the Travel Channel (Ghost Adventures? Ghost Adventurers? Not sure) as they seem to try to debunk things rather than CHARGE INTO THE DARKNESS XD

    I have a sense of humor about the shows but when actually doing any kind of real ghost hunting, I've spooked a few times over weird things.

    I can't explain the paranormal...I've had some weird things happen that can't be explained. And I kind of like that, that in life, there are things that cannot be explained by reason. It helps maintain my sense of wonder.

    Hmm...the weather is turning warmer. The last ghost hunting adventure I went on was during July of last year. We didn't turn up much, but just going was fun.

    I won't knock it, I have plenty of things I nerd out over. You're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been on an investigation!? That's so cool, I want to go on one so bad but I don't know anyone in any paranormal societies around here. Plus I think my husband has sort of forbidden me to do a ghost hunt because I'm like you, I'm totally levelheaded when I watch the show, but when it comes to having personal experiences (which I have also had), Daniel knows how freaked out I can get. But I don't care! We should assemble a ghost hunt sometime...who went with you, where did you investigate?

    I definitely agree with you about the Ghost Adventures show. Too much dramatics if you ask me, not enough proof. I actually got really hooked on paranormal shows in high school watching Most Haunted which, by the way, is a total fake. Go online and watch the clip which is usually headed as "Most Haunted Fraud" (or "Mary loves Dick"), it's pretty funny. I guess I could still watch it but I don't like paranormal shows so much for the entertainment as for the possible proof they uncover.

    My favorite Ghost Hunters episode is the one where they investigate the St. Augustine Lighthouse. It's awwwesome. There is definitely some kind of activity there, no doubt about it.

    Say the word, Anne, I'd love if me and you and even a few others could get an investigation together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a number of interesting places I've tromped around in. What I have learned over the years:

    -Don't go trespassing. If you'd be trespassing, call local police for permission--they might even point you to a site, especially if it's one that's hard to find.

    -Don't go in expecting something to happen. I've had more fun going somewhere just to tromp around and explore.

    -Watch out for group dynamics. If you have a bunch of uneasy people, it's easy for one person to spook out the rest. And that's not good if you're in a sketchy area you're not familiar with, and potentially unsafe (bad area of town, abandoned house, nocturnal animals, etc).

    -Come prepared. Extra batteries, flashlights, sturdy boots, bug spray, and first aid supplies in case someone gets a scrape, sprains an ankle, etc.

    -Go to the site during daylight hours. That way you'll know where you're going. It's no good if you go someplace in the dark and end up get injured or lost in the dark.


    I don't know any paranormal societies, I went on an investigation with two friends up by Furman and Pointsette bridge, but the most we were armed with was flashlights and cameras. How I got into it was being bored in high school and having nothing to do in Greenville, and being interested in checking out anything that looked spooky or seemed weird. A lot of us were interested in it, and a few got serious about trying to actually get some kind of evidence.

    On Halloween of 2004 a bunch of us went up to Pointsette Bridge to camp out with laptops, camcorders, cell phones, digital cameras, disposable cameras, audio recorders, you name it. When we got home we went to check out the recordings and they were all gone. No reasonable explanation for that whatsoever.

    Pointsette Bridge is a pretty good site to check out. It's a nice drive up there, it's a fairly quiet spot, and pretty during the day. At night, it's pretty spooky! Stand under the arch of the bridge in the dark and the hairs on the back of your neck will stand up, ghosts or no ghosts.

    Another weird thing that's occurred a few times when visiting odd spots--cars not starting. That's a little freaky--you get weirded out, go to start your car, and it won't even choke. Nothing.

    I'm sure it can all be easily explained by electromagnetic fields but when it happens, it's some spooky stuff!

    This author compiled a lot of stories about local legends: http://www.shelorandson.com/Books/Boyanoski.htm

    Check out the chapter on Pointsette Bridge. Coincidentally, they were up there on Halloween of 2004 too!

    I've visited a lot of different places but most of the places I've visited...I've been trespassing (not a smart move) and I've gone to places that aren't necessarily safe (in a bad area of town; way out in the middle of nowhere--far, far away from hospitals and civilization; holes in the flooring; evidence of derelicts; chopped up animal remains...). Now, if I'm going to visit a spot, I go during the day, I don't go alone, and I don't go somewhere seriously sketchy. If it looks sketchy, it's probably not worth the risk.

    It's been a while since anyone's made mention of going out to a site. I can check around, see if anyone's interested, and cobble up a group to go somewhere sometime.

    Last summer, Henry Moulder was going out to sites pretty regularly and put together a Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/upstateobscure
    He found some sites I really wanted to visit. I'll try dropping him a line and see if he's interested in going hunting again.

    ReplyDelete

Read the Printed Word!